Friday, December 18, 2009

Pastures new

Various people have been nudging me about an Ashton website. Several years ago with Bruce Marriott and Jane Simpson, I managed to get Stephanie Jordan and Andree Grau's Following Sir Fred's Steps online



Now there is an Antony Tudor site, meaning that English ballet choreographers are decently represented on the web. The one figure about whom I would like to produce a website is de Valois. It would be an act of pietas, as she and I grew up only ten miles from each other, albeit worlds, generations and identities apart. There is no blue plaque, as there should be, at Baltyboys House where she was born. I suspect, if I were ever to create a site that it would be less about ballet than about that world from which she sprang, her connections with Yeats and the Abbey Theatre etc.....

(all of which said, I think my next project might not be about dance, but about ethics in Irish public life).

No comments: