Thursday, July 19, 2007

Conductor: the kaleidescopic flexator on the podium


We're back from our fortnight at Savonlinna in Finland. One of the conductors there who intrigued me was Leif Segerstam, who conducted Verdi's Macbeth (last year he was in the pit for Tannhauser). He has all the demeanour and the girth of a Viking hero - and is a great favourite of the local audience. I googled him to discover that there is quite a folklore about him among musicians. One has put together some of his more memorable quotes. I love them!

Examples:


"I want the music more traumatised."
"Like an old time Western locomotive we can get the organity of the puffing."
"The kaleidescopic flexator on the podium --- the conductor."
"Keep an irony rhythm."
"The string section without the basses is a plasmatic living cluster."
"You have to become a little dirty about the fingerboard there."
"Flutterzungen in the mind."
"Was this a conspiration to read my beat?"



No comments: