
I've been fascinated recently by the twenties pianists Raie da Costa and Billy Mayerl. When looking for material about them online, I came across British Pathe's remarkable newsreel archive site. Here, for instance, is a link to Soviet newsreel footage from 1968 of Vaseli Vasilyev in Spartacus (presumably from the premiere of the Grigorovich version). There's mute film of Royal Ballet tours to the United States and much much else. At full screen the images are very pixelated, but this is, nonetheless, a terrific resource.
British Pathe's homepage
1 comment:
Brendan: A terrific resource, indeed. After just a few clicks I came upon a piece of film with Janet, age 5, at Italia Conti that's contemporary with a 1944 Picture Post feature we have. Fascinating! And there's some great historic aircraft footage too - this site will become a real time-waster on wet, gloomy days like today.
Post a Comment