Jane Simpson suggested to me yesterday that I might be happier in Winter than Summer and it may even be true. My pulse always quickened with the start of term, routines kicking back in, and a renewed sense of order about the day. Part of the problem may be that there has been no vivid distinction between the seasons this year.
Several of my dance classes have stopped for the summer, and in the last month I've hardly been inside a studio. This week I took two classes and realised how much my body is like a piano that drifts out of tune. It takes so much work to remember anything at all. Going back to the barre I had that sense of a stylus skating across a surface and not settling properly in a groove (an image that dates me, I know).
But one thing I am trying to do (and I think this is one of Brian Loftus's suggestions): to dance with my eyes. Fantasy of the day: to win one of Nesta's Dreamtime awards. If I could, I would take two years out of my life and do nothing but dance. Every kind of dance: ballet, contemporary, ballroom, Irish, Asian - anything! My age is wrong and my body fights me - but it is my one driving curiosity. I really want to know - and I feel like a surfer chasing that elusive wave.....
Friday, August 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment