In his weblog, Leigh Witchel contrasts the almost inert state of dance blogging with the animated quality of political blogging. He suggests that weblogs might be a link between dance communities, and proposes a dance webring to animate discussion.
While I'm very interested in what other writers are saying, my own ambitions for this log are limited - and I see it as little more than a jotter or a column with fairly low-orbit thoughts.
I run several other weblogs - not dance-related - and I feel it really hard to psyche myself up to make sustained arguments on any of them. It almost begs the question - why don't I just keep a diary and save it to my hard drive. But the fact that someone else might read what I'm writing adds a bit of spice, and, every so often, there is something I want to communicate.
If I were writing for print (or a major website - and I do miss that, but it's a self-imposed exile), and a guaranteed readership, it would be different. In an ideal world I would like to have a very elegant website of my own on which I could offer radio features (in my years as a producer, this gave me more pleasure than anything else). One of the reasons for running a weblog is that it gives me a residual presence on the internet, while I develop my ideas. The ultimate pleasure would be to offer sound features accompanied by really decent stills photography (of the various dance sites I visit, Article 19's is the one I most admire technically).
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment