When I read that the Association of American Publishers was suing Google because of its Print for Libraries project, I didn't completely understand what the fuss was about.
Basically, Google scans and indexes copyrighted books held in the university libraries at Stanford,Harvard and Michigan. So I went to Google Print to try it out. The book I chose was Stephanie Jordan's 'Europe Dancing: Perspectives on Theatre Dance and Cultural Activity.' You need a Google login to use the search.
I found the book. But then, with careful use of the 'search within' box, I found I could read virtually the entire book online. The same was also true of three books I then chose at random: Joan Acocella's biog of Mark Morris; Deborah Jowitt's Jerome Robbins: His Life, His Theater, His Dance; Lynn Garafola's Legacies of Twentieth Century Dance. Whatever about the ethics, this is absolute treasure trove.
No wonder the publishers are furious - this drives a coach and four through the concept of copyright. I suspect that Google Print will not survive the legal onslaught. Nonetheless, its imaginative scale is absolutely breath-taking.
I did check if Following Sir Fred's Steps was included. It isn't - not for now. But Jane, Bruce and I would be livid (never mind Stephanie Jordan or David Leonard) if, after all our hard work, and our painstaking attempts to get the agreement of all the contributors, Google were to have pre-empted us and to have placed it online without let or hindrance.
Thursday, October 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey thanks for the link to Google Print. YOur right this could be fun. I'm finding lots of good stuff on there.
Post a Comment