
Royston Maldoom rehearsing for Sacre
I'm travelling back and forth to Brighton between now and Sunday to write about Dance Screen Brighton for Dance Now. While I had better save most of my thoughts for the article, I was very taken with Rhythm is it , a documentary about a community dance project for 250 young people in Berlin. It was Simon Rattle's idea to begin with. The Scottish choreographer Royston Maldoom (I remember seeing Irish Ballet is his Adagietto years ago) chivvied, chided and coerced these kids into taking part in a piece made to Stravinsky's Sacre played by the Berlin Philharmonic. It's one of those mixed genre features like Musicality or Operatunity - beautifully made and with powerful moral force ("You can change your life in a dance class", Maldoom tells his young charges). The producers still haven't found a UK distributor, but it cries out to be seen here.
Previous posting; Poetics
No comments:
Post a Comment