Friday, June 03, 2005

Song of Wandering Aengus


Alina Cojocaru and Federico Bonelli in Symphonic Variations

To the Opera House last night for the final Royal Ballet programme of the season. I'm writing about it for The Tablet, which is below radar cover. Symphonic is an apt topic - St John of the Cross and all that - for The Tablet, but it just didn't come together for me with this cast. In some ways I wish I weren't writing about the performance. My mind snags too easily on a phrase, or a particular dancer, and replays detail, while I should be paying attention to other things.



Susie and I had dinner tonight with our friend Leigh Witchel. Leigh is a choreographer from New York and a talented dance writer. We came in contact through the website Ballettalk. Ballettalk has been hugely important for me, as there are few points of reference for someone who at my age wishes seriously to engage with dance, and not just as a viewer.

Leigh is playful and has introduced me to Friday Cat Blogging , which has clearly intrigued Susie. I think we should start it here, as soon as I've mastered the technology - and found the right cat.

Previous entry: Sheila

No comments: