
This is displacement activity as I've a lot on today. But I'm putting this pic up as I intend to post about the experience of seeing Ocean a few days after going to a preview of Philip Gröning'sInto Great Silence (Die große Stille)
Material for discussion:
"I find it generous in incident but unrelenting. There is an element of arrogance in creators who subject an audience to long and uninterrupted endurance tests of their creativity. Choreographers, as I have numbingly known, who makes one sit through two unbroken hours of their work, are bullies." Clement Crisp
Postscript (11 October): This post began with good intentions and I never finished it. I seem to remember that I would have written that I am very happy to accept longeurs and some redundancy in Merce Cunningham, and to have my attention drift out and drift back in again. Groening's film was set in the Carthusian Monastery of Grand Chartreuse and was intended not so much as a documentary than as a project to communicate the essence of being in a monastery. I had similar episodes of focus and drift as I watched both the film and the dance work.
No comments:
Post a Comment