Saturday, September 09, 2006

Wikipedia



I began to take Wikipedia seriously after the article in Nature suggesting that the accuracy of its science entries was almost as good as that of Encyclopaedia Britannica. Increasingly I rely on it for a quick fact-check if there isn't time to dig deeper, and I've also contributed to several entries. In particular, I have started to build its entry on Kenneth MacMillan. Rather naughtily I cut and pasted a biog note from BRB's site to replace the sketchy entry that preceded it. More systematically, I've tried to build a series of links to reviews and articles about MacMillan.
I focused on MacMillan, because I felt we had done Frederick Ashton proud with the online version of Following Sir Fred's Steps , and because, in comparison, there is a scarcity on the internet of organised MacMillan material. That said, I added some links to Wikipedia's Ashton entry , while leaving untouched the rather eccentric biographical note ("He was a great friend of Michael Baić of Framlingham in Suffolk" etc). What is really surprising is the lack of good Balanchine material online. The Balanchine Foundation site, after an initial flourish, shows all the signs of neglect (perhaps lack of money).

No comments: